The collection is still expanding and currently includes over 1800 diatom strains. The vast majority of isolates are benthic species from the marine littoral zone from the various localities, in particular from the coasts of Atlantic and Indian Oceans and its marginal seas and the western Pacific.
The aims of the Szczecin Diatom Culture Collection (SZCZ) are to:
– study the phylogeny and taxonomy of marine benthic diatoms using a multigene (SSU, rbcL, psbC) approach:
– study the biodiversity of brackish-water and marine diatom assemblages, including extremely small-celled taxa that escape the observation during routine diatomological analyses
– study the geographical distribution of brackish-water and marine diatom taxa
– investigate the life cycle and sexual reproduction patterns in diatoms,
– conduct ecophysiological experiments,
– assess the suitability of different diatom strains for biodiesel production and the design of biomaterials.